The onion patch strategy! That’s why. In “The Leaders Handbook” by Peter Scholtes, p.390, he gives some guidelines on what to do if you are:
“a lonely little, low-ranking, cubicle-inhabiting, systems-thinking pertunia, trying to introduce the new philosophy of leadership to those rooted in the onion patch of an obsolete managerial philosophy”
Guidelines for the onion patch, all from The Leaders Handbook, it’s great so buy a copy.
- Learn everything you can. At the very least it may be useful in your next job.
- Identify the area over which you have influence. Even if it is small, you cna make things happen there.
- Identify some priorities. Select some improvement efforts that:
- help the outside customers
- help the gemba
- impress your boss’s boss
- will prove to be dramatically successful. Don’t pick a loser